Saturday 28 May 2016

Sense of place








A series of relief prints based on my trips to Guilin China, near to my Grandparents old home in the south of China, before they immigrated to Malaysia. 
These prints are designed to provoke the sense of the mystery surrounding this very unique place. It seems like another world, primordial and dreamlike. Mountains jut out of misty rivers like teeth and strange plants defy gravity holding on to them, inches above the glassy water, suspended as if in time. Beneath some of the mountains are hidden pools in dark caves and in them are built strange spires of stone and minerals. 
With these images, I have tried to give you my impression of the place and my journey through, trying to discover some sense of home in the foreign land of my ancestors.





No comments:

Post a Comment